Title: Love in a Goldfish Bowl
Author: Jack Sher
Cover artist: one very confused photographer
Yours for: $8
Best things about this cover:
- The dog. By far, the dog. The dog is looking to us for help.
- This cover would actually be beautiful if you just replaced the photo with ... well, anything. Title font design is gorgeous.
- I know a Jack Sher. Hey, Jack, you wrote a book ... many years before you were born. Congratulations. [my friend's real name is Jack Shear, so this is funny only to me and possibly him]
- This photo = rejected Alpo campaign still #178
- What ... I ... just what the hell is supposed to be happening here? Why is she ... what is that ... what's in the ... why are they ...?
- "Gee, Blythe, where'd ya get the giant snail, and why are you keepin' him in a goldfish bowl on your belly out here on the beach?"
- This cover is the reason words like "camp," "queer," and "ambiguously gay duo" were invented.
Best things about this back cover:
- SNAFU = Situation Normal: All Fucked Up. A most apt description of the front cover.
- How come nobody's named "Gordon" any more?
- The last two paragraphs are so ambiguous that they allow me to imagine that the people pictured end up addicted to heroin and turning tricks ... in Balboa.
- "It was the bending end" - that's what she said!
"Gordon, where are you going?" my foolish, fuzzy mother asked.
"I think I'll sleep on my boat," I said.
"You'll do nothing of the kind!" she said.
So there I was, stuck with Holloway for the night.