Title: Naked Ebony
Author: Dan Cushman
Cover artist: Barye Phillips
Yours for: SOLD 5/22/08
"Hey, baby, be careful! This is my good pirate shirt!"
Best things about this cover:
- These people are neither "naked" nor "ebony." Total rip-off.
- I do love a woman-with-gun cover painting. Here, the gun is a kind of nipple-extension. In other cover paintings, it will stand in for ... other things. You'll see.
- Could he be any closer to her? I'm not convinced her eyes can even focus on him when he's that close.
- Is he going to hit her? Kiss her? Is he showing her his stigmata? Pulling a coin from behind her ear? The possibilities are endless, and every one of them justifies her shooting him.
- Please notice the greatness of the fully painted cover. Edge-to-edge coverage - a complete painting where the graphic element is the real attention-grabber. This art-centered style of cover is why I started collecting in the first place.
Best things about this back cover:
- Not the punctuation, that's for sure.
- "Chari" - how do you pronounce that?
- "Package of hell!" - somebody was still cutting his melodramatic teeth when he laid down that gem. Yikes.